Russia Sanctions 61 Canadian citizens including CAF personnel
In response to what has been termed as “Russiaphobic actions” by the Government of Canada, the government of Russia has personally sanctioned 61 Canadian citizens.
The Canadians on the list are from a broad spectrum of the Canadian government and corporate world, including the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).
The official statement by the Russian Foreign Ministry strongly points fingers at Canada, going as far as to say the government is acting in a hostile fashion.
“In response to the constantly imposed anti-Russian sanctions by the official Ottawa, including a ban on entry to Canada and other discriminatory measures against Russian officials, military, experts and journalists, another group of Canadian citizens is included in the “stop list” on an ongoing basis,” read the statement.
The list covers a breadth of people, including senior government officials, active and retired military personnel, representatives of the expert community, and leading media. Russia claims these people are “involved in the development, substantiation, and implementation of the Russophobic course of the ruling regime in Canada, are indefinitely prohibited from entering the Russian Federation.”
Currently serving and retired military members on the list include:
- MGen. Steve Boivin, Commander of the Special Operations Forces of the Canadian Armed Forces.
- VAdm. Craig Banes, Commander of the Canadian Navy.
- Ret’d MGen. Romeo Dallaire.
- Col. Ryan Deming, Commander of 8 Wing Trenton.
- LCol. Luc-Frederic Gilbert- Commander UNIFIER training mission in Ukraine.
- LGen. Al Meinzinger, Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force.
- VAdm. Robert Auchterlone, Commander Canadian Joint Operations Command.
- LGen. Alain Pelletier, Deputy Commander of the joint US Canadian Command NORAD.
- RAdm. Brian Santarpia, Commander of the Canadian Navy in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Ryan Stimpson, UNIFIER Training Mission Commander from April to Sept. 2020.
- MGen. Michel-Henri St-Louis, Acting Commander of the Canadian Land Forces.
- Jeffrey Troope, UNIFIER Training Mission Commander Oct. 2019-April 2020.
- MGen. (ret’d) David Fraser.
- LCol Sarah Heer, UNIFIER Training Mission Commander Sept. 2020-March 2021.
- LCol Melanie Lake – UNIFIER Training Mission Commander March-September 2021
Other Canadians on the list include:
- Jeremy Broadhurst, Senior Advisor Office of the Prime Minister of Canada;
- Mark MacKinnon, International Columnist for the Globe and Mail;
- Dan Costello, Foreign and Defense Policy Advisor to the Prime Minister;
- Tiff Macklem, Chairman of the Bank of Canada.
- Mike Power, Head of the Secretariat of the Minister of National Defense;
- David Walmsley, Editor-in-Chief Globe and Mail.
- And the premiers of Alberta, Ontario, and British Columbia.
In its statement, Russia has warned that a new announcement is planned for the future to expand the “stop list, in response to “the hostile actions of the Government of Canada, which supports the pro-Banderist regime in Kyiv.”
Statement Closes With Another Stark Warning:
“In this regard, we warn the Canadian curators of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and the national battalions of responsibility for the war crimes committed by their wards. The guilty will definitely be punished.”
Currently, the Canadian Government is advising Canadians not to travel to Russia due to the armed conflict in Ukraine.
“Security conditions are unpredictable and could deteriorate without notice. The ability of our Embassy to provide consular services in Russia may become severely limited. Avoid all travel to Russia,” stated the website.
For more information on travelling to Russia, visit here.
- Cameron Ahmad – Director of Communications, Office of the Prime Minister of Canada;
- Major General Steve Boivin – Commander of the Special Operations Forces of the Canadian Armed Forces;
- Jeremy Broadhurst, Senior Adviser, Office of the Prime Minister of Canada;
- Shelly Bruce – Head of Canada’s Communications Security Authority;
- Vice Admiral Craig Baines – Commander of the Canadian Navy;
- Halyna Vynnyk – Chairman of the League of Ukrainian Women of Canada;
- David Vigneault – Director of Security and Intelligence Canada;
- Terry Glavin – publicist;
- Balkan Devlen – Fellow of the Macdonald-Laurier Institute;
- Romeo Dallaire (Romeo Antonius Dallaire) – former Senator of the Parliament of Canada;
- ColonelRyan Deming – Commander of the Trenton military base and the 8th Air Wing of the 1st Aviation Division of the Canadian Air Force,
- Luc-Frederic Gilbert – commander of the Unifire training mission in Ukraine;
John Ivison – publicist;
- Martine Irman – Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Export Development Corporation;
- Jason Kenney – Premier of Alberta
- Brian Clow – Deputy Chief of Staff to the Prime Minister of Canada;
- Dan Costello – Foreign and Defense Policy Advisor to the Prime Minister of Canada;
- Frederick Cote – UNIFIER Training Mission Commander from April to October 2019;
- Melanie Lake – Training Mission Commander
- Shuvaloy Majumdar of the MacDonald-Laurier Institute;
- Sabrina Maddeaux – publicist;
- Mark MacKinnon – International Columnist for The Globe and Mail;
- Tiff Macklem – Chairman of the Bank of Canada;
- Roman Medyk – Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Fund Credit Union “Future”;
- Michael Melling is the head of the CTV News media concern (CTV News);
- Borys Mikhaylets – Chairman of the Ukrainian League of Canada;
- Scott Moe – Premier of Saskatchewan
- David Morrison – Deputy Minister of International Trade of Canada, Sherpa in the G7;
- Lieutenant General Al Meinzinger – Commander of the Canadian Air Force;
- Katty Nivyabandi General Director of the Canadian branch of the NGO Amnesty International;
- Sandra Aube – Head of the Secretariat of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada;
- Robert Auchterlonie – Commander, Canadian Joint Operations Command, Vice Admiral;
- Mike Power – Head of the Secretariat of the Minister of National Defense of Canada;
- Lieutenant General Alain Pelletier (Alain Pelletier) – Deputy Commander of the joint US-Canadian command of the aerospace defense of the North American continent (NORAD);
- Robert “Bob” Rae – Permanent Representative of Canada to the UN in New York;
- Michael Sabia – First Deputy Minister of Finance of Canada;
- Brian Santarpia – Commander of the Canadian Navy in the Atlantic Ocean, Rear Admiral;
- Jill Sinclair is Canada’s representative to the Ukrainian Defense Ministry’s Multinational Reform Advisory Council;
- Heather Stefanson – Premier of Manitoba
- Ryan Stimpson – Unifire Training Mission Commander from April to September 2020;
- Major General Michel-Henri St-Louis – Acting Commander of the Canadian Land Forces;
- John Tory – Mayor of Toronto
- Patrick Travers, Senior Foreign Policy Adviser, Office of the Prime Minister of Canada;
- Jeffrey Toope – Unifire Training Mission Commander October 2019 to April 2020;
- Catherine Tait – President and CEO, Public Broadcasting Corporation
- Katie Telford – Chief of Staff of the Prime Minister of Canada;
- David Walmsley, Editor-in-Chief, The Globe and Mail;
- Jim Watson – Mayor of Ottawa
- Graham Flack – Head of the Secretariat of the Board of the Treasury of Canada;
- Douglas Ford – Premier of Ontario
- David Fraser (David Allison Fraser) – Major General of the Canadian Forces (retired);
- Michael Harris – publicist;
- Tasha Kheiriddin – publicist;
- Sarah Heer – Unifire Training Mission Commander from September 2020 to March 2021;
- John Horgan – Premier of British Columbia
- Leslie Church – Chief of Staff of the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance of Canada;
- Janice Charette, Acting Clerk of the Privy Council and Cabinet Secretary of Canada;
- Richard Shimooka of the MacDonald-Laurier Institute;
- Chris Ecklund – Entrepreneur, Project Manager for recruiting Canadian citizens as mercenaries for the Ukrainian Armed Forces (online resource fightforukraine.ca);
- Lloyd Norman Axworthy, Chairman of the NGO World Refugee and Migration Council;
- Oz Jungic is a Political Advisor to the Office of the Prime Minister of Canada.