Whether you are spending Christmas at home, spending Christmas with family away from home, safety should be first and foremost.
Here are 13 tips to ensure you have a happy and safe holiday.
Staying Safe at Home
- Poinsettias are poisonous for both children and pets: make sure you keep out of reach or don’t have on in your house;
- Be alert for fire hazards: Never leave sources of fire or heat unattended
- Don’t block exits in your home with decorations
- Never use damaged accessories, cords, lighting sources, etc.
- Do not overload your electrical outlets or cables
- All outdoor electrics should be plugged into a GFI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets
- If putting up a real Christmas tree, make sure you water it
- Keep all decorations and flammable objects a few feet away from the fireplace
Staying Safe While Travelling
- Let a trusted person know where you are, your itinerary and your contact info
- Never tell strangers your travel plans
- Create the illusion somebody is always home
- Don’t carry a lot of cash or valuables when travelling
Remember to enjoy the holidays, have fun and stay safe.