13 Holiday Safety Tips
Whether you are spending Christmas at home, spending Christmas with family away from home, safety should be first and foremost.
Here are 13 tips to ensure you have a happy and safe holiday.
Staying Safe at Home
- Poinsettias are poisonous for both children and pets: make sure you keep out of reach or don’t have on in your house;
- Be alert for fire hazards: Never leave sources of fire or heat unattended
- Don’t block exits in your home with decorations
- Never use damaged accessories, cords, lighting sources, etc.
- Do not overload your electrical outlets or cables
- All outdoor electrics should be plugged into a GFI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets
- If putting up a real Christmas tree, make sure you water it
- Keep all decorations and flammable objects a few feet away from the fireplace
Staying Safe While Travelling
- Let a trusted person know where you are, your itinerary and your contact info
- Never tell strangers your travel plans
- Create the illusion somebody is always home
- Don’t carry a lot of cash or valuables when travelling
Remember to enjoy the holidays, have fun and stay safe.