Meatless Monday’s have become increasingly popular among foodies and food bloggers. Whether or not you are a vegan or vegetarian, eating more plant-based foods is always a good addition to anyone’s diet. I love the idea of setting aside one day per week to ‘eat like a vegetarian’. It can be Monday, or if that doesn’t fit into your schedule, make it any other day of the week.
Choose a main meal that has other sources of protein, like a combination of rice and beans or a complete protein like quinoa. Protein is important and should be included with every meal.
In fact, I recommend that most people consume meat on a regular basis, not only for the protein, but for the iron, vitamin B12 and other essential nutrients. However, increasing our intake of vegetables, legumes and whole grains will reduce overall stress on our digestive systems and create a more alkaline blood PH balance.
By eating plant-based foods, we strengthen our ability to fight illness and disease. I encourage everyone to take the Meatless Monday Challenge, and serve up a vegetarian dish for dinner this week.Print
Marvellous Meatless Chili
This recipe is sure to satisfy. We promise – you won’t miss the meat.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 14 oz can chickpeas (or ¾ cup dried beans, pre-soaked and cooked)
- 14 oz can kidney beans (or ¾ cup dried beans, pre-soaked and cooked)
- 14 oz can black beans (or ¾ cup dried beans, pre-soaked and cooked)
- 1 ½ tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tbsp cilantro
- ½ tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion over medium-low heat for five minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, beans and spices and bring to a boil. Simmer for 40 minutes – one hour, covered. Stir occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste and simmer for another five minutes.
Serve with a whole wheat dinner roll, naan bread, or on a bed of sautéed greens.