Day eight of our Christmas Cookies is heralded in with a brown sugar shortbread cookie. These cookies are crispy and soft, all rolled into one, and the use of regular and brown sugar gives them a dark, rich colourPrint
12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Brown Sugar Shortbread
Day eight of our Christmas Cookies is heralded in with a brown sugar shortbread cookie. These cookies are crispy and soft, all rolled into one, and the use of regular and brown sugar gives them a dark, rich colour.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes (chill time)
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 59 minutes
2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown Sugar
1/3 cup dark Brown Sugar
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, light brown sugar, and dark brown sugar together on medium-high speed until completely smooth and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- On low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer up to high speed and beat until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and, with floured hands, divide into two. Shape each half into an 8-inch log.
- Tightly wrap the logs in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove logs from the refrigerator and roll into coarse sugar, if desired. It’s added only for a little crunch!
- Slice each log into 12 equally thick cookies and place cookies on baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes or until brown around the edges.