Above image: Left, Leading Seaman Molly Cameron prepares HMCS ORIOLE for arrival in New York City, New York for Fleet Week 2019 on May 22, 2019. Photo by: AB A.J. Domingo. Right, Master Seaman Shawn Davis demonstrates the usage of the Sig Sauer service pistol aboard HMCS GLACE BAY during Operation NANOOK 2020 on August 21, 2020. Photo by Corporal David Veldman. Images courtesy of Canadian Armed Forces.
Her Majesty’s Canadian Ships (HMCS) Oriole and Glace Bay will be the Royal Canadian Navy’s ambassadors on the RCN’s annual Great Lakes Deployment.
According to a Department of National Defence press release, “GLD provides Canadians with a unique opportunity to tour one of Canada’s naval ships and to learn about life in the RCN from our sailors. Canadians will be encouraged to stop by, say hello, and speak to our sailors about their experiences on domestic and international operations.
“It also provides a learning opportunity about the different trades available in the RCN and hear stories and anecdotes directly from sailors who have chosen the challenge of a career at sea.
“If you want to learn more about the Navy, come and see for yourself this summer.”
Great Lakes Deployment 2022
HMCS Oriole will deploy on the Great Lakes Deployment from May 13 to August 31, and HMCS Glace Bay will deploy from June 24 to July 29.
HMCS Oriole, which is the RCN’s longest-serving vessel, will visit the following cities:
- Charlottetown, PEI (May 14-15)
- Tadoussac, QC (May 19)
- Quebec City, QC (May 22-23)
- Montreal, QC (May 25)
- Brockville, ON (May 28-29)
- Kingston, ON ( May 31-June 1)
- Hamilton, ON (June 9)
- Toronto, ON (June 11-12)
- Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON (June 18-19)
- Sarnia, ON (June 25-26)
- Sault Ste Marie, ON (July 1-3)
- Thessalon, ON (July 5)
- Little Current, ON (July 7)
- Parry Sound, ON (July 10)
- Collingwood ON (July 16-17)
- Tobermory, ON (July 20)
- Midland Tall Ships Festival (July 23-24)
- Port Colborne. ON (July 30 – Aug 1)
- Kingston, ON (August 8-12)
- Oshawa, ON (August 18)
- Queenston, ON (August 20)
- Charlottetown, PEI (August 30-31)
Visit HMCS Glace Bay in the following cities:
- Hamilton, ON (June 24 – 29)
- Toronto, ON (June 29 – July 10)
- Oshawa, ON (July 10 – 12)
- Kingston, ON (July 12- 14)
- Montreal, QC (July 15 – 20)
- Quebec City, QC (July 21 – 24)
- Rimouski, QC (July 25 – 29)