Royal Canadian Mint continues to honour history and heritage on new collector coins
The Royal Canadian Mint has just released two new collectors coins as a tribute to unforgettable moments in Canadian military history.
The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin First World War Allied Forces: Newfoundland pays tribute to the future province’s contribution to the Allied victory, helping to end hostilities on November 11, 1918. The coin was designed by artist, Pandora Young, who dramatically illustrated soldiers of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment during the heat of battle. Their acts of courage in battles like Beaumont Hamel and The Somme continue to amaze and inspire.
On the $20 Fine Silver Coin Second World War Battlefront Series – The Invasion of Sicily, artist Valentine De Landro beautifully captured a Canadian dispatch rider speeding on a motorcycle as the July 1943 Operation Husky brought Canadian troops ashore at the Sicilian town of Pachino.
Both of these coins, as well as other exceptional keepsakes, are available now for purchase.
The Mint has also created a new “Filigree Gate Technology” coin, marking one of its own milestones on the 2018 $30 Fine Silver Coin – 110th Anniversary of the Royal Canadian Mint. This 2 oz. coin proudly displays the castle-like façade of the Mint’s Ottawa facility behind a replica of the black wrought iron gate surrounding it. In operation since 1908, this facility mainly houses bullion (gold bars) and numismatics (collector items) coin production and was where this exceptional keepsake was fashioned.
Other collectables being released from the Mint this month include:
The 2018 $25 Fine Silver Coin – Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II: The Young Princess, the Mint’s first coin to be struck with a “repoussé” inspired technique to reproduce the artwork of Bonnie Ross in exceptionally high relief;
- The 2018 $30 Fine Silver Coin – Evolving a Nation, an innovative coin featuring multiple maple leaf cut out shapes, representing our 13 provinces and territories, surrounding Canada’s Coat of Arms in full colour;
- The 2018 Fine Silver 14-Coin Set – Heraldic Emblems of Canada, featuring Canada’s Coat of Arms, as well as those of all our provinces and territories, each colourfully reproduced on their own coin;
- The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Canadian Flag, on which artist Tony Bianco arranged micro-sized English and French lyrics of our national anthem in red to re-create the pattern of our national flag;
- The 2018 $200 Pure Gold Coin – 30th Anniversary of the Platinum Maple Leaf (PML), featuring the iconic maple leaf design of the PML and Her Majesty’s effigy in platinum plating, a first for a Mint gold coin;
- The 2018 $3 Fine Silver Coins – Canadian Coasts (Atlantic Coves and Pacific Sunset), square-shaped coins designed by artist Maurade Baynton which capture the signature imagery of our eastern and western shores;
- The 2018 $50 Fine Silver Coin – Nature’s Light Show: Stormy Night, the first in a new series of 5 oz. concave coloured coins incorporating a glow in the dark effect which brings to life Derek Wicks’ illustration of fox cubs huddled in their den while the clash of lightning dances in the night sky;
- The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Canadian Mosaics: Caribou, on which artist Jori van der Linde’s design mimics the look of a stained glass mosaic in translucent colour;
- The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Maple Tree Tunnel, designed by Jan Poynter and enhanced by black light technology to show a tree-limed garden in two different seasons;
- The 2018 $50 Fine Silver 3-Coin Set reproducing the Mint’s wildly popular Murano glass coins in an impressive 5 oz. format;
- The 2018 5-Ounce Fine Silver Coin – Big Coin Series: 2-Dollar Coin, selectively plated in rose gold;
- The 2018 $8 Fine Silver Coin – Good Luck Charms: Five Blessings, a square-holed coin featuring Chinese-Canadian motifs created by artist Simon Ng;
The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Star TrekTM: Deep Space NineTM, a coin textured and shaped in the silhouette of the show’s famed space station, in colour and enhanced by glow-in-the-dark technology;
- The 2018 $3 Fine Silver Coin – The Thirteen Teachings from Grandmother Moon: Raspberry Moon, designed by Frank Polson; and,
The crystal-enhanced 2018 $5 Fine Silver Coin – Birthstones: August, featuring a mandala-inspired ruby design by artist Pandora Young.