Soft Molasses Cookies
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated or coarse sugar, for rolling
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt together until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and brown sugar together on high speed until creamy and combined, about 2 minutes. Add the molasses and beat until combined. Then add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- At low speed, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be slightly sticky.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment.
- Roll cookie dough, 1 tablespoon each, into balls. Roll each in granulated sugar and arrange 3 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 11-12 minutes or until edges appear set and tops are cracking.
Brown Sugar Shortbread
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup dark Brown Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, light brown sugar, and dark brown sugar together on medium-high speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- On low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer up to high speed and beat until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and, with floured hands, divide into two. Shape each half into an 8-inch log. Tightly wrap the logs in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove logs from the refrigerator and roll into coarse sugar, if desired. It’s added only for a little crunch! Slice each log into 12 equally thick cookies and place cookies on baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes or until brown around the edges.