1) Have a day of rest and pampering so that you are all well rested before seeing each other
2) Make sure rooms and spaces are organized and tidied out so that your returning family member feels as though there is a physical space for them and places for them to re-establish themselves in the house
3) Have a box of memories and photos ready for them to look at of positive things that have happened while they were away
4) Hide notes around the house telling the returning family member about all of the things that you missed about them or love about them
5) Make a bulk emailing list and letter to let people know that your family member is safely home but that the adjustment back to family life will take time and that you will get in touch with them when things have settled down a bit.
For more information about our tips, blogs, books and resources go to: www.whileyouwereaway.org
To submit a tip and have a chance to win a free copy of our latest journal write to: [email protected]