MacKenzie’s Maple Orange Strawberry Spinach Salad
This sweet and tangy salad is perfect for those who don’t have a lot of time to cook. The sweetness of the fresh strawberries and maple paired with the acidity of the orange, raspberry vinegar and walnuts gives this salad an explosion of flavours in your mouth. Simply add a breast of chicken, shrimp or tofu to make it a full meal!
Submitted by Margaret MacKenzie
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup peeled sliced orange pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup cubed Feta cheese
- breast of chicken, shrimp or tofu (optional)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- pepper to taste
- Put the sliced almonds in a frying pan and add 1 tsp of sugar to candy the almonds. Stir until the almonds are a golden colour. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, add baby spinach, romaine lettuce, green onion, orange pieces, strawberries, and Feta cheese.
- In a bowl or mason jar mix together olive oil, raspberry vinegar, maple syrup, orange juice, Worcestershire sauce, basil, parsley and pepper.
- Add the dressing and almonds to the large bowl and and mix up the salad up.
- Grill a chicken breast, shrimp or tofu and add to the salad to make it a meal.
Enjoy… I have not left a potluck without having been asked for this recipe at least once.