Well, it’s that time of year again, the turkey is roasting in the oven, and the apples are all cut up for the Apple Crisp. Now it’s time to turn your attention to another favourite at any Holiday table, the stuffing. Especially when it’s cranberry and sage stuffing!!
This cranberry and sage stuffing recipe has a beautiful kick of bacon, cranberries, and sage, followed by a nice crunch from the cashews. The cranberries make it the perfect accompaniment to your turkey by adding a little sweet taste. The bacon also gives this stuffing a nice smoky flavour. It is up to you whether or not you want to cut the crust off the bread or not.
Do not over mix your cranberry and sage stuffing. Once you add the liquid mixture to the bread, incorporate the ingredients gently. If you do it too vigorously, the bread will become too soggy and mushy.
• 1 Loaf of Bread
• 1 Pound of Bacon
• 2-3 Carrots
• 2 Celery Stalks
• ½ Yellow Onion
• ½ Cup Dried Cranberries
• ½ Cup Butter
• 1 Cup Turkey Stock (Chicken stock could substitute)
• 60 ml Sage
• 60 ml of Crushed Unsalted Cashews
• Salt and Pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Cut the bread into the desired shape. Small dice all vegetables, set aside.
3. Chop bacon and cook to ¾ doneness.
4. Add vegetables to bacon and cook until tender, season with salt and pepper.
5. Add cranberries to the mixture.
7. Then add the butter and turkey stock and simmer for 2-3 minutes
8. In a large bowl add bread and liquid mixture and mix together. (Do Not Overmix)
9. Season to taste with salt and pepper
10. Spoon stuffing into oven-ready serving ware and bake for 25 minutes.
11. Serve, Eat Well, and Be Happy