While there are a lot of Mac and Cheese out there, this is by far one of the best. On those cool winter evening when you are craving warmth, this mac and cheese recipe hits the spot.
Many years ago, while in high school our high school cafeteria served the BEST Mac & Cheese recipe ever. Over the years I have honed my recipe, this the final result.
It is a meal pleaser with our children requesting it often. Plus simply heat it up in the oven to eat for lunch or dinner the next day.
BEST Mac & Cheese
Double this cheesy recipe because it will be a hit with the family!
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke *optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni as directed on package. Drain. Put in a casserole dish.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in onions, flour, salt, and pepper. Add milk.
- Cook and stir until sauce boils and thickens.
- Add shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- In a 2-litre casserole dish, combine macaroni with cheese sauce.
- For topping melt 2 tablespoons butter in a frying pan.
- Mix in bread crumbs with the melted butter.
- Scatter topping over top of macaroni and cheese and bake uncovered in 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes until top is golden brown.
Can easily be doubled.