Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Make the dough: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- Beat the butter for 1 minute on high speed until creamy. On medium-high speed, beat in the granulated sugar until completely creamed and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat on high until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. If the dough still seems too soft, you can add 1 Tablespoon more flour until it is a better consistency for rolling.
- Shape and fill: Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Roll each portion out in a rectangle onto a floured silicone baking mat (or floured parchment paper) to about 1/4″ thickness. Spread 1 Tablespoon of melted butter onto each rectangle. Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon together then sprinkle evenly over each.
- Working slowly, tightly roll up each rectangle into a 9-inch log. If the dough is cracking at all, use your fingers to smooth it out. Chill the logs of dough for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove dough logs from the refrigerator. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Place slices onto baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, until lightly browned on the sides. Remove from the oven, allow to cool.
- Make the icing: Whisk all of the icing ingredients together. Drizzle over cooled cookies.