The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) is currently looking to recruit Special Forces Operators and Special Forces Officers for the Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR).
According to a CANFORGEN 113/22 announcing the recruitment, “CSOR is a high-readiness special operations unit capable of conducting a broad range of strategic mission sets.”
The next Special Forces Operator assessment phase will occur spring 2023.
According to the CANFORGEN, the assessment phase is “extremely” demanding and difficult. Therefore, applicants should be physically, mentally and personally prepared to undergo the process. A maximum of three attempts are permitted.
Additionally, applicants are warned to maintain operational security through the application and selection process. “Applicants should refrain from discussing their applications outside of their chain of command, partners, and close family. This includes avoiding any disclosure on social media.”
Those who succeed will be placed on the Special Forces Course in the summer of 2023.
Other specific eligibility requirements are below.
Eligibility for Officers
The eligibility criteria for officers are as follows:
- Rank: SLT/LT to LT(N)/Capt must meet operational function point in present occupation.
- MOSID: any except 00349 CHAP
- P Res Officers must meet the Regular Force OFP for their present occupation, which may be a higher qualification than the P Res OFP
- Regular Force offers must gain the support of their career manager via their notice of intent process.
- Must meet minimum medical category for current occupation or be retained without restriction.
Additionally, according to the CANFORGEN, all applicants must be free of medical employment limitations which would breach bona fide occupational requirements of Special Forces Training and Employment, including parachuting and helicopter insertion/extraction.
Eligibility for NCMS
The eligibility requirements for NCMs are as follows:
- Any NCM MOSID and Rank. Note that upon occupation transfer to 00369 SF OP (Untrained), those holding rank or appointment of MS/MCPL or higher will voluntarily relinquish rank and pay to Cpl.
- Minimum medical category: 223225
- Regular Force must meet the eligibility criteria for voluntary occupation transfer as per Ref C, including minimum 24 months of continuous service.
- Primary Reserves have no minimum service.
- Must meet OFP in current occupation.
Requirements for all applicants
Requirements for all applicants include:
- Applicants must have successfully completed a Force Evaluation after June 1, 2022.
- Must successfully complete the SF OP Pre-selection Physical Evaluation, including completion of Combat Swim Test.
- Must hold a minimum security clearance level II.
- Possess a valid, unrestricted provincial/territorial Drivers licence
- Primary Reserve Officers must also apply for CT to the Regular Force no later than Dec. 9, 2022. Regular Force NCMs are also to apply for voluntary occupation therapy to 00369 SF OP through their chain of command following the procedures at Refs C and Refs D.
- Applicants must submit their notice of intent to apply to CANSOFCOM by Nov. 4. Officer will receive further instructions from CSOR recruiting and selection cell upon recent of the notice of intent.
For more information on eligibility requirements, questions should be directed to the CSOR Recruiting and Selection cell using the toll-free number 1-800-262-1507 OR VIA EMAIL AT CSOR.RECRUITING(AT)FORCES.GC.CA.