DNDDuty CallsTop 25 Stories
General and Flag Officer senior appointments, promotions, and retirement
Chief of the Defence Staff General Jonathan Vance announced in a press release the latest Canadian Armed Forces General and Flag Officer senior appointments, promotions, and retirements that will occur in 2019.
“The role of a General and Flag Officer in the Canadian Armed Forces comes with enormous responsibility. Those selected demonstrate they are not only capable of leading Canada’s armed forces, but also committed to improving them. They do so for the people serving under their command, and for the Canadians, we are sworn to defend. For those leaving the Forces, they should do so proudly, as they are a testament to the qualities required to keep Canada’s military strong and effective,” General Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff.
General Officers (Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force) and Flag Officers (Royal Canadian Navy) lead the Canadian Armed Forces in defending our country’s values and interests, here at home and abroad.
For 2019, the total number of permanent General Officer and Flag Officer positions required to meet the demands of the Canadian Armed Forces is 116 (105 Regular Force and 11 Reserve Force).
The number of senior staff fluctuates as a result of the needs of the military to meet the Government of Canada and institutional objectives, which are constantly changing.
- Lieutenant-General P.F. Wynnyk, Vice Chief of the Defence Staff, will retire from service resulting in the following promotions and appointments:
- Lieutenant-General J.M. Lanthier will be appointed Vice Chief of the Defence Staff, replacing Lieutenant-General P.F. Wynnyk.
- Lieutenant-General W.D. Eyre will be appointed Commander Canadian Army, replacing Lieutenant-General J.M. Lanthier.
- Rear-Admiral H.C. Edmundson will be promoted to the rank of Vice-Admiral and will be appointed Commander Military Personnel Command, replacing Lieutenant-General W.D. Eyre.
- Major-General S.J.R. Whelan will be appointed Deputy Commander Military Personnel Command, replacing Rear-Admiral H.C. Edmundson.
- Brigadier-General J.R.M. Gagne will be promoted to Major-General and will be appointed Chief Military Personnel Strategic Programs, replacing Major-General S.J.R. Whelan.
- Colonel F.G. Carpentier will be promoted acting while so employed to the rank of Brigadier-General and appointed as Commander 2 Canadian Division and Joint Task Force (East), in Montreal QC, replacing Brigadier-General M.A.J. Carignan.