If you are looking for a meal, this is delish and healthy, be prepared to be satisfied: Brown Rice Risotto with Kale and Squash! The brown rice ups the fiber, and flavour in this risotto dish, with the butternut squash adding flavour and nutrients!
This recipe is also a great dish to take to a potluck – when we can go to them again!
Brown Rice Risotto with Kale and Squash
- 3 cups butternut squash – about ½ of a medium butternut squash
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 cups kale, chopped (discard stems)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Peel the squash and then cut into 1 inch cubes. (You may steam the squash or bake it first, for about ten minutes, to soften it up.)
- In a medium pot, sauté the onion and garlic in butter for five minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, brown rice, squash and sea salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale and parmesan cheese. Stir.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with salad.
*Why not double it and take to a potluck!
*Serve with a salad!