Two additional subtypes of short leave were announced by the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) in October 2021
CANFORGEN 166/21 CMP 087/21 261700Z OCT 21 released on Oct. 26, 2021, noted the sub-types could be found in Chapter Nine of the Canadian Forces Leave Policy Manual.
With the addition, members can now be granted short leave for these purposes:
The webpage states “the purpose of short leave (family-related obligations) is to provide a member of the Regular Force or of the Reserve Force on Class “B” or “C” Reserve Service with time away from their duties in order to” the below situations.
- attend to an illness in the family;
- attend appointments;
- attend school functions;
- pick-up a child from school or daycare due to unforeseeable closure;
- attend a birth;
- attend a marriage; or
- attend to any other family-related situations.
Religious and spiritual accommodation
The policy states, “the purpose of short leave (religious and spiritual observances) is to provide a member of the Regular Force or of the Reserve Force on Class “B” or “C” Reserve Service with time away from their duties in order to” attend the below events.
- take leave on days that coincide with and allow for participation in Spiritual/Faith Traditional beliefs, customs and practices; and
- recognize diversity, remove barriers to and promote inclusiveness throughout the CAF.
The new short leave sub-types enable members who need to help out their family or who wish to practice their faith or religious beliefs to ask for time away from work.
Anyone looking for the list of these changes can find more information regarding CO approval and limitations at this link.
All questions about the changes or sub-types can be sent to the Administrative Response Centre (ARC): +CMP ARC-CRA CPM(AT SIGN)CMP DGMP(AT SIGN)OTTAWA-HULL OR CMPARC.CRACPM(AT SIGN)FORCES.GC.CA.