With the lazy, hazy days of summer upon us, it is once again time for maize, more commonly known as corn. An excellent source of iron and fibre, corn can be served in more ways than one. Below you will find recipes that are beyond the cob. If you are looking for tasty ways to serve maize this year, try this tried-and-tested corn recipes.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 large knob butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (or rice flour to make it gluten-free)
- 1 can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- diced chives
- Heat milk and vegetable broth together in a separate pot on a low heat, but do not boil.
- Dice the onion and let it simmer in the butter in a pot on the stove, then add the flour. Stir well.
- Dice up the bell pepper and add it and the corn to the pot.
- Cut the chili pepper into small pieces and add it to the pot.
- Now add the milk and broth mix to the pot. Stir in the cumin and curry powder.
- Stir well and let simmer for about 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Top with cheese and chives.
Serve a salad and baguette to make it a family meal!