This thick, hearty, soul-warming chili will satisfy every member of the family as they sit down for dinner. With a 15-minute prep time, this recipe is quick, simple and delicious. Serve with a loaf of sourdough bread and garden salad.
1. Heat olive oil in a large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion and sauté 3 minutes, then add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer. Add beef, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until beef has browned. If you like, you can add the spices here, or they can be added when you add the tomatoes and beans in the slow cooker.
* Drain fat from beef. Pour mixture into 6 or 7 quart slow cooker.
2. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cocoa powder, sugar, and coriander, and season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 – 6 hours.
4. Stir in dark and light red kidney beans and allow to heat through, about 2 minutes.
5. Serve warm with desired toppings.
*To make meatless Substitute a can of black beans and/or 227 g cremini mushrooms in place of the ground beef. Also substitute vegetable bouillon in place of beef bouillon.
To make on stove top: rather than fry onions, garlic and beef in a frying pan, use a large stockpot or dutch oven and once cooked, skip putting the mixture in a slow cooker, rather add the rest of the ingredients and cook over low to medium low heat uncovered for an hour or more. Stirring often to ensure it does not burn. If using a stockpot you do not need to cover with lid.
Keywords: Hearty Chill Warm Up Yummy
Find it online: https://www.cmfmag.ca/galley/warm-hearty-chili/